Guide to Hiking
The Batona Hiking Club and/or its Leaders, Officers, or Representatives, shall not be liable for personal injuries, loss or damage to person and/or property, direct or consequential, arising out of any trips and/or activities of the Batona Hiking Club. The assumption of risk, which is inherent in this type of rugged outdoor activity, is implied on the part of each person who attends any Batona trip. Every person participating in any of said trips and/or activity assumes all risk and liability in connection therewith. When required for special trips or vacations, cash reservations or deposits from all participants, including drivers, must be made within designated time lines. Depending on the activity, deposits may not be refundable. All scheduled hikes are taken rain or shine. However, with inclement weather, it is advisable to consult with the hike leader about last minute cancellations.
The following rules are incumbent on each hiker:
The maps listed are USGS 7.5-minute quadrangle maps, unless noted otherwise and can be purchased from the U.S. Geological Survey, 1200 South Eads Street, Arlington, VA 22202.
- Do not get too far ahead or behind as you may become lost.
- When on roadways, walk on the left facing traffic.
- Keep a safe distance between hikers to avoid injury from swinging branches and hiking sticks.
- Prevent forest fires! Batona is a non-smoking club on all hikes!
- Don't pick flowers, destroy plants, or walk on cultivated land.
- Close all gates that you open. Climb fences only at posts to avoid damage to them.
- Carry out all trash.
- Respect private property.
- Dogs are not permitted on hikes.
- Cell phones are for emergencies only.
- When carpooling, costs may include a suggested contribution to the driver to offset expenses. Additionally, all hikers in a car are expected to share the cost of tolls, parking, and entrance fees.